Yesterday Andrew Green and I went to Kitgum working on a story. Kitgum, for the uninitiated, is a bloody long way north. It’s practically on the South Sudanese border, and sits at the end of a very bumpy road, an absolute joy when you’re 6ft-plus and the matatus are designed for circus midgets.
With our work done we headed for home, but missed the last bus to Kampala. So we crammed into a matatu headed for Gulu, which sat for an hour. Then we were told to change to another matatu, which seemed designed as a method of torture. This car got going after a while and we headed for Gulu.
When we arrived in Gulu there were no more buses heading for Kampala from there either, but we were told that the one in the park would leave when full, probably in the wee hours of the morning. So we went to Hotel Sunset, where the lovely staff allowed us to take showers in their truly amazing washrooms (Hotel Sunset is the hotel from which Jane Bussmann had all her stuff nicked while she was in Gulu, but don’t let that put you off). Then we sat on the bus and waited. It was crawling (and I mean cheap kebab shop levels of infestation) with cockroaches, but eventually I dozed off.
I was woken by dawn (6.30am) and looked around to discover that I was indeed still in Gulu. Long story short I’ve had 4hrs of rubbish sleep and have nothing to post right now. So here’s a picture of one of the members of Good Lyfe Crew on stage at Radio and Weasel’s recent album launch. One day I shall have a solo exhibition titled “Famous People’s Backs”.
I am a Uganda-based freelance photographer, and this is a receptacle for whatever I'm toying with at the moment, varying greatly in quality like the goat stew which so often powers it. Personal blog etc.
All content on this site is © Will Boase unless otherwise stated.
See My Actual Work
- Middle of nowhere outside Mbujimayi in Congo we just drove past a kid wearing a Tshirt saying "Donnie Darko makes no sense". Testify. 9 months ago
- Seriously. Screw this. #FreeAlfredTaban #FreeGeorgeLivio #FreeSpeechIsNotACrime #JournalismIsNotACrime #SouthSudan https://t.co/d8pu3q7jXc 10 months ago
- RT @robmanuel: People shout on Twitter & nothing changes Someone makes a game where you catch Pokemon & people are in the street Making stu… 10 months ago
- RT @FOTO8: Remembering our colleague Turkish photojournalist Yeni Şafak killed last night by gunfire in the #Turkeycoup. https://t.co/jsiV5… 10 months ago
- We are being trolled so hard. 10 months ago
- 46,359 hits