Riding in a campaign motorcade is an experience which is hard to quickly summarize. There is a constant din of horns, the cars swerve constantly and whenever they stop there is a flurry of activity as the security personnel jump out to form a perimeter around the candidate’s car. So many things are happening at any one time that I never stop being fascinated.
But all of this exists for one reason- to make the candidate’s journey as quick and undisturbed as possible. He is free, then, to work, read, sleep or stare out of the window. I have been doing a similar thing recently, just staring out of the window and watching the faces of citizens as they see this honking mass passing. Some are elated as they catch a glimpse of their candidate, others are confused or irritated by the din. Children love the campaigns and get very excited by them.
I started shooting images out of the car window whenever the space was clear (usually there is a policeman obscuring the left side window, and framing using the right side is tough). All of this was with more than a nod to Ben Lowy, whose Iraq images are both visually stunning and deep observations on the connections between people.
So I shot out through the window, using it as a frame and trying to imagine that being my view of the world. The images went up and down in quality, but yesterday evening I struck lucky. The light was perfect, the policeman was out of the car for a while, and the crowds were numerous. This was our return to Kampala, to campaign in Nakawa, and along the narrow roads as we headed to the rally ground I could finally see the images I had been looking for.
So with apologies to Ben Lowy, I’ve put a few of my favourites in a new page which you can access from the top of this blog. It’s titled ‘Ballot Box‘, and I’d love to hear what you think.
I am a Uganda-based freelance photographer, and this is a receptacle for whatever I'm toying with at the moment, varying greatly in quality like the goat stew which so often powers it. Personal blog etc.
All content on this site is © Will Boase unless otherwise stated.
See My Actual Work
- I hope we #Remain and I hope @Nigel_Farage gets reminded of it every single day for the rest of his life. We are not you. #StrongerTogether 5 days ago
- Anyone else notice that #wales are #tattoo-free? Very out of place in a football championship. #EURO2016 2 weeks ago
- RT @FloraCarmichael: Check out country fans in Uganda photo gallery bbc.in/1SEptJT pics by @willboasephoto #BBCIdentity 2 months ago
- Museveni reelected with 60.75% #UgandaDecides 4 months ago
- The Ugandan Election 2016- proudly brought to you by @theTunnelBear #UgandaDecides 4 months ago
- 45,767 hits